For a new major release (e.g. 8.4):
- Create a release branch from develop. The branch should be named release-8.4.
- Update the version number in
AC_INITin configure.ac and push the changes to the git repository.
- The buildbot will automatically create from the release branch a tarball (http://www.tddft.org/programs/octopus/down.php?file=release-8.4/octopus-8.4.tar.gz), the variable documentation (http://octopus-code.org/doc/release-8.4/html/vars.php), and the doxygen documentation (http://octopus-code.org/doc/release-8.4/doxygen_doc/index.html).
- Distribute the tarball among the developers for testing and correct any problems encountered.
- Update the PACKAGING file.
- Update the debian/changelog file.
- Once everybody is happy with the tarball, merge the release branch into the master branch.
- Add a new tag on Gitlab:
- Create the new tag from the master branch.
- Tag should be named 8.4.
- Add a link to Octopus 8 in the release notes.
- The buildbot will automatically create from the tag a tarball (http://www.tddft.org/programs/octopus/down.php?file=8.4/octopus-8.4.tar.gz), the variable documentation (http://octopus-code.org/doc/8.4/html/vars.php), and the doxygen documentation (http://octopus-code.org/doc/8.4/doxygen_doc/index.html).
- Merge the release branch into develop. This might require to resolve some conflicts, as the develop branch might have diverged.
- Update the codename for the development version in AC_INIT in configure.ac on the develop branch and on the FAQ page.
- Update the Template:Octopus_version wiki template.
- Add a new page for the release to the wiki. e.g. Octopus 8
- Update the Changes wiki page, referring to Developers:Changes.
- Update Manual:Updating to a new version, referring to Developers:Big changes.
- Update the wiki Main_Page, so it shows this latest release as well as the last bugfix release of the previous major version.
- Add the release to News on the Main_Page.
- Add the release to Releases.
- Send an email announcement. Sample e-mail below.
- Post it on the Octopus Facebook page! https://www.facebook.com/octopus.code
- Produce new .deb files for Linux installation, upload them, and add to Octopus 8.
- Check and update Manual and Tutorials. (this takes time, it is better to do it after the rest of the release)
To: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Subject: Octopus 8.4 released
Dear Octopus users,
We are pleased to announce that we have just released Octopus 8.4.
The source code, documentation and information for this new release can be obtained from:
The Octopus development team